Children's Special Health Services (CSHS)
The CSHS program is the principle public agency ensuring that children and youth who have special health care needs in Louisiana have access to health care services designed to minimize their disabilities and maximize their probabilities of enjoying independent and self-sufficient lives.
Children and youth who have special health care needs are those who have or are at increased risk for a chronic physical, developmental, behavioral or emotional condition and who also require health and related services of a type or amount beyond that most children or youth require.
Currently in Louisiana, there are more than 207,000 children and youth who have special health care needs. This is about 19 percent of all Louisiana children and youth.
- National, State, and Local children and youth with special health needs resource links
- Eligibility for CSHS sub-specialty medical clinics
- Applying for CSHS
- CSHS sub-specialty medical clinics offered and locations in the state
- Family Resource Center at Children's Hospital in New Orleans
- Transition information for youth with special health care needs and their families
- Health Transition Fact Sheet especially made for Louisiana's Youth with Special Health Care Needs
- Helpful information for families attending CSHS sub-specialty medical clinics
- Parent Support Program
- CSHS Events
- SmoothMovesYHT.org a website for teens 14-17 on youth health transition info - brochure link.
For Healthcare Providers
- CSHS Care Coordination Toolkit
- CSHS Publications
- Louisiana Developmental Screening Guidelines and Tools
- Louisiana Developmental Screening Guidelines Fact Sheet (PDF)
- Louisiana Developmental Screening Technical Assistance Program Application (PDF)
- Louisiana Young Child Wellness Collaborative
- National, State, and Local Children and Youth with Special Health Care Needs Resource Links
- Regional Resource Guides
- Transition information
Quick links to CSHS publications
- CSHS sub-specialty medical clinic program brochure (En Español)
- CSHS Physician Guide (for sub-specialty medical clinic program)
- Medical Home Care Coordination Regional Resource Guides
- Regional Transition Guides for Youth with Special Health Care Needs
- Regional Transition Guides for Healthcare Providers