Kick Off a Safe, Tasty Super Bowl Party
Super Bowl XLVII will be held in New Orleans, Louisiana on February 3, 2013. Louisiana is known for its rich food and culture and this year's festivities are sure to bring lots of food, family and fun!
The Louisiana Department of Health and our partners in food safety would like to remind you of some food safety tips that will offer safe, healthy and appetizing ideas for the big game!
Two Hour Rule:
- Don't keep perishable foods at room temperature for more than two hours.
- Make two platters and rotate the fresh one out of the fridge at halftime (refrigerators should be held at 41°F or below).
- When in doubt, throw it out.
- This is a great time to use your slow cooker for chili, meatballs, and other hot game day treats.
- Slow cookers keep hot foods hot over time (135°F or above).
- Take a time out and be sure to handle the ingredients safely before they go in the cooker (clean, separate, cook and chill).
For more ways to avoid a food safety foul on game day and for a free printable flier, visit our partners at Fightbac.org.