Electronic Health Records (EHR) Incentive Payment Program
Through the Louisiana Medicaid Electronic Health Records (EHR) Incentive Payment Program, eligible medical professionals and hospitals with qualifying Medicaid patient volume can receive incentive payments for adopting, implementing or upgrading and meaningfully using certified EHR technology. Eligible Professionals (EPs) are physicians, nurse practitioners, certified nurse-midwives, dentists, optometrists, and physician assistants (who furnish services in a FQHC or RHC that is led by a physician assistant). Eligible Hospitals include critical access, acute care, and children's hospitals. To learn more about the program, click here.
Dates to Remember
- December 31, 2016 - Deadline to begin participation in program
- Deember 31, 2016 - Deadline to begin participation in program
Eligible Professionals (EPs) Count
|Eligible Professionsals (EPs) Amount)||Eligible Hospitals (EHs) Count||Eligible Hospitals (EHs) Amount|
|Attestation Year 1||2,861||$58,667,009||108||$110,252,181.32|
|Attestation Year 2||1,379||$11,229,924||91||$58,743,022.52|
|Attestation Year 3||718||$5,822,503||57||$12,620,365.46|
|Attestation Year 4||242||$2,031,501||28||$5,708,758.91|
|Attestation Year 5||36||$306,000|
|Attestation Year 6|
*denotes a record through 6/3/2016
- Louisiana was the 4th state in the nation to launch its incentive payment program in January 2011. Since that time, more than 2,500 medical professionals and hospitals in Louisiana have received more than $205 million in incentive payments.
- For Program Year 1, more than $100 million in incentive payments was paid to 93 hospitals for an average payment greater than $1 million.
- In April 2012, Louisiana was the first state in the nation to make a meaningful use payment.
- Since program inception, Louisiana has remained among the top 10 states in incentive payments.
What Should Providers/Hospitals Do to Get Started?
Before applying with Louisiana Medicaid for your incentive payment, you must first register with CMS. If you haven't registered, click here to register with CMS.
After registering with CMS, go to lamedicaid.com, and click on the red Provider Login button. IMPORTANT: Eligible Professionals (EPs) must log in using their individual Medicaid Provider ID or NPI. EPs must not log in using group or practice credentials. After successfully logging in, you will be able to access LAConnect. LAConnect is the online portal where Louisiana's eligible professionals and eligible hospitals can apply for EHR incentive payments.
Your incentive payment will be linked to the Payee NPI and Payee TIN that you provided during the CMS registration process. If the information you provided to CMS does not match the information in your Provider Enrollment File, a paper check will be mailed to the designated payee. Enrolled providers are encouraged to keep Provider Enrollment File information current, including payname, address and account numbers. You may contact Provider Enrollment at 225-216-6370.
Please expect payment within six to eight weeks of completing your attestation. If there is a problem with your attestation, the timeframe may be extended.
Incentive payments are subject to review by Myers and Stauffer LC, an audit firm under contract with Louisiana Medicaid. Myers and Stauffer auditors are currently reviewing Year 1 through Year 3 payments. If selected for review, you will receive a notification letter from Myers and Stauffer with instructions on required documentation. In addition to reviews conducted by Myers and Stauffer, incentive payments are subject to review and audit by external oversight bodies, such as Louisiana Legislative Auditor and Office of Inspector General. As a recipient of an incentive payment, you are required to comply with these reviews and grant access to the auditors as needed. Click on the appropriate link for EP Audit Tips and EH Audit Tips.
Withdrawal from Program
If you completed an attestation or received a Medicaid EHR Incentive payment and wish to withdraw your attestation and/or return your payment, you must complete a Return Payment/Withdrawal Form. The form can also be used by providers who wish to return a payment and have it reissued to another payee. Click here for the form and instructions.
Attestation Amendment Form
If you received a Medicaid EHR Incentive payment and wish to amend data to which you previously attested, you must complete an Amendment Form. This form can be used to amend program year, eligibility data, and meaningful use data. Click here for the form and instructions.
Please visit these helpful links for more information:
- Hardship Exceptions
- Path to Payment
- List of Certified EHR Technology (CHPL)
- Information on Medicare Payment Adjustment
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) about Louisiana's EHR Incentive Payment Program, click here.
- Frequently Asked Questions - Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services, click here.
- Louisiana Health Care Quality Forum (Louisiana's Regional Extension Center)
- Louisiana Health Information Exchange (LaHIE)
For more information about how to participate in this program, contact Louisiana Medicaid EHR Incentive Payment Program at firstname.lastname@example.org or 225-342-4810.